Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Pula, Foola

Arriving in Crotia via ferry last night was amazing since the first thing that we saw upon disembarking was the Roman Ampitheatre, which was lit up against the twilight sky. A crew is furiously working on setting up for the Pula Film Festival which starts the day we leave...of course. thank you lisa and frank...

Pula is a town on the Istrian Peninsula, and still boasts an amazing Venetian fortress built in the 19th century. Other notable monuments include a Roman Forum and the Temple of Augustus, built in 2 AD. Officially, that's the oldest building I've ever laid eyes on. We walked all around town since arriving last night, and finished up with a bus ride out to the beach. Beaches here are very beautiful because they are made of rock, not sand. It's customary to swim with your tevas on and a snorkeling mask. We're purchasing those tonight.

So, speaking of purchases, the knock-off items here are sold in many stores. On the main tourist drag in Old Town, I was offered Puma shoes, a Cartier watch, and a Gucci handbag all for the price of $200 US. So, it may be knock-off, but the price isn't. I'm not much for bargaining yet. But I'm working on it. I look up how to say something in my guide book, practice with Frank, and agree that's the way to say it. Upon entering the store, I kindly ask how much, and they answer me. Oops...big problem when you don't understand the price. Finally, the exasperated sales woman types in the price on her cell phone to me. I read the display, talk her down, and then we agree. Oh the love of the phone...

One final odd note, paper products here come in all colors. In the U.S., toilet paper is white, paper towels are white, and paper napkins are white - except for the bargain priced 100 napkins in multicolors at Big Lots. In Croatia, it's been yellow toilet paper, pink napkins, blue hand napkins in the bathroom and green toilet paper in the restaurants. I realize the oddity in this...but hey, I'm in Pula, Foola...

Tomorrow, we rent a car and drive to Plitvice National Park.

Do Vidjena,
xo

No comments: